The temple of Concordia can be seen as soon as it appears at the southern extremity of this green and all-flower floor; to the east the scarce ruins of the temple of Juno; the ruins of all the other sacred buildings on the same straight line as the two mentioned do not appear to the view of those standing above, which runs further on north, along the coast, still extended for half an hour towards the marina (…) “. Even today a little or nothing of the landscape, that Goethe could admire in April 1787, has changed, and the Valley of the Temples is the most known and vaunted area of Agrigento. The monuments that stand there are the rests of the ancient city of Akragas, founded in the VI century BC. by settlers of the Greeks and became in about a hundred years “the most beautiful city of mortals” (Pindar). Destroyed by the Carthaginians in 406, it was refounded by Timoleon in 340 BC and lived new moments of splendor, when inevitably started to decline, definitive with the advent of the Byzantines. The ancient city was abandoned in the IX century, after the Arab conquest, and the urban nucleus narrowed on a hill above it taking the name of Gergent. Passed to the Normans, the city was named diocese and was embellished with numerous churches. Palaces and monuments continued to rise even between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries and then again between the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. In 1927 the city took the name Agrigento and now has about 56,000 inhabitants. You need one day to visit it.